Thursday, April 23, 2009

Before Abraham - John 8:56-59


-> Will you help us Open a World of Opportunity?
Home > Devotionals > What Jesus Did! > June 27


Before Abraham - John 8:56-59

Your father Abraham was very happy that he would see the day when I came. He saw that day and was happy." The Jews said to Jesus, "What? You have never seen Abraham ! You are not even 50 years old!" Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth. Before Abraham was born, I AM. " When Jesus said this, the people picked up rocks to throw at him. But Jesus hid, and then he left the temple area. (ERV) Full Text
Key Thought
Like so many other things Jesus says in this chapter, this claim is audacious and bold. It is also true. Jesus didn't just happen on the scene when he came to earth; he existed before any created thing. That's why it is so important that we pay attention to him. He not only sacrificed himself for us, but he left heaven's glory to come and live with us and show us God's love.
Today's Prayer


Get WJD by EMAIL!

Enter your email address above to subscribe to the email edition of What Jesus Did! Follow along FREE every day as we go through John in a year.
More Info on Mailing ListsFather, open my heart to the teaching and truth of Jesus and give me a greater sense of his authority, his majesty, and his lordship in my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen. NEW: Get Phil's What Jesus Did devotional in a paperback book. Click here to find out more!
Today's Verses in Context
The Jews answered, "We say you are a Samaritan. We say a demon is making you crazy! Are we not right when we say these things?" Jesus answered, "I have no demon in me. I give honor to my Father. But you give no honor to me. I am not trying to get honor for myself. There is One who wants this honor for me. He is the judge. I tell you the truth. If a person continues to obey my teaching, then that person will never die." The Jews said to Jesus, "Now we know that you have a demon in you! Even Abraham and the prophets died. But you say, 'The person that obeys my teaching will never die.' Do you think you are greater than our father Abraham? Abraham died. And the prophets died too. Who do you think you are?" Jesus answered, "If I give honor to myself, then that honor is worth nothing. The One that gives me honor is my Father. And you say that he is your God. But you don't really know him. I know him. If I said I did not know him, then I would be a liar like you are liars. But I do know him. And I obey what he says. Your father Abraham was very happy that he would see the day when I came. He saw that day and was happy." The Jews said to Jesus, "What? You have never seen Abraham ! You are not even 50 years old!" Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth. Before Abraham was born, I AM. " When Jesus said this, the people picked up rocks to throw at him. But Jesus hid, and then he left the temple area.
John 8:48-59 (ERV)

Easy-to-Read Version copyright © 2001 by World Bible Translation Center. All rights reserved.




Before the world began, the Word was there. The Word was there with God. The Word was God. He was there with God in the beginning. All things were made through him (the Word). Nothing was made without him. In him there was life. That life was light (understanding, goodness) for the people of the world.John 1:1-4 (ERV)
No person can see God. But Jesus is exactly like God. Jesus is ruler over all the things that have been made. Through his power all things were made--things in heaven and on earth, things seen and not seen, all {spiritual} powers, authorities, lords, and rulers. All things were made through Christ and for Christ. Christ was there before anything was made. And all things continue because of him.Colossians 1:15-17 (ERV)
In your lives you must think and act like Christ Jesus. Christ himself was like God in everything. Christ was equal with God. But Christ did not think that being equal with God was something that he must keep. He gave up his place with God and agreed to be like a servant. He was born to be a man and became like a servant. And when he was living as a man, he humbled himself by being fully obedient to God. He obeyed even when that caused him to die. And he died on a cross. Christ obeyed God, so God raised Christ to the most important place. God made the name of Christ greater than every other name. God did this because he wants every person to bow for the name of Jesus. Every person in heaven, on the earth, and under the earth will bow. Every person will confess (say), "Jesus Christ is Lord (Master)." When they say this, it will bring glory to God the Father.Philippians 2:5-11 (ERV)
");
//]]>-->


Share with Others
Print this DevotionalSend it to a FriendDiscuss

RSS Feeds Advertising Support Heartlight Help Contact Us
HOME TOP
HEARTLIGHT® Magazine is produced by Heartlight, Inc. HEARTLIGHT is a registered service mark of Heartlight, Inc. PO Box 7044, Abilene, TX, USA 79608-7044. Copyright © 1996-2009. Heartlight is supported by Westover Hills Church, Southern Hills Church, and loving Christians from around the world. Scripture quotations are taken from the Easy-to-Read Version copyright © 2001 by World Bible Translation Center. Used by permission. All rights reserved.


Devotionals
Articles
Graphics
Bible Study
Community
Shopping
Search
DONATE
_uacct = "UA-638130-1";
urchinTracker();

No comments:

Post a Comment